· County Coordinator for the Richland County, Ohio USGenWeb site since August 2, 2001
· Webmaster for the Richland Co. Genealogical Society website
· Presently working with the Jefferson Twp. Trustees (Richland Co.) to scan and index a 72-box collection of township & school records dating back to 1865.
· Currently indexing the historic newspaper collection at the Bellville (OH) museum.
· Have presented programs for the Ashland, Richland and Seneca Co. Genealogical Societies, Mohican Area Genealogists Interested In Computers, the Mansfield/Richland County Public Library as well as their Lexington, Ontario and Plymouth branches and the Butler/Clear Fork Valley Historical Society.
· I am an avid machine quilter
· Lifelong Richland Co. resident, now living in Lexington with my husband and our lively troop of miniature dachshunds
| Prepared Presentation Topics:
Genealogy Research Through The Year ... Whether it's snowy or sunny, keep your genealogy research moving forward all year long. I will provide tips on census research, cemetery visits, writing requests for documents and vital records, formulating proper message board queries, suggestions for organizing your research documents and photographs, and much more in a month-by-month format.
Examining Genealogical Documents ... A great program for beginner and intermediate researchers. We'll discuss over a dozen documents that genealogists commonly use in building their family trees and ways to find them. We'll also look at some interesting non-traditional resources -- like cattle brand registrations?
Working With Obituaries ... I will discuss some traditional and not so traditional places to locate obituaries, how to use them in your research and some key websites that will help. I will also give tips on finding death dates using both free and subscription on-line services.
Using City Directories ... Often viewed as glorified phonebooks, these overlooked resources are tremendous tools for genealogical research. Learn how much valuable information we can gather from directories, how to use them as census substitutes and how to perform mini title searches on homes your ancestors lived in.
Newspaper Research ... Whether using traditional microfilm or on-line services, utilizing old newspapers for your genealogical research can uncover hidden nuggets for your family files. In this program I'll discuss how to locate old newspapers, how to use on-line and hardcopy indexes, various search techniques, and how to use this information as a roadmap for further research.
The Family Narrative ... Now that you've copied all of that data, and photocopied everything you could find about your family, it's time to put it all into an interesting family story. Learn some tips and tricks for creating a story about your ancestors, whether you decide to publish or keep it in the family to pass down to children and grandchildren.
Richland County, Ohio USGenWeb Site Tour ... As webmaster for the Richland Co. USGenWeb site for over 8 years, the site has grown from a collection of 30 pages to over 5,000. Take a tour of the site and learn tips on utilizing the resources there!